Sunday, July 20, 2008

I Will Never Treat My Kids Like That.

Today I spent the day watching How I Met Your Mother and reading almost due library books. But what really hit me was Athena when she returned today from the lake house. Mike and Carrie dropped off the food to go into the fridge before picking up Audrey and I saw Athena, her face red and tear-streaked. Later, after sending Audrey to bed I had Athena cuddle and talk to me. She started sobbing saying that her dad had told her mom that he didnt love Athena and didnt want to come see her. Carrie had set up the phone so that it was a three way specifically so that Athena could hear his reaction when Carrie asked why he hadn't seen her lately. I thought that this was too cruel for words. What kind of mom, knowing exactly what Athena's dad would say, would set her kid up for that pain? I rocked Athena and brushed away her tears, but my heart was just breaking. I kissed her on the top of her head and told her how wonderful she was, and how so many people love her. She said that her mom had said that Athena wasnt doing well in school so she thought that she wasnt mentally all there. I told Athena that just because a person isnt book smart doesnt mean that they have a disability. I explained to her that she has many friends and she is a wonderful person that will go far in life because of her sweet nature. I told her that she can do whatever she wants, and as long as she is happy she is blessed. I cuddled with her and encouraged her for about an hour before having to tuck her into bed. I sang her the song that my mom used to sing to me (oh god, I'm getting so emotional right now... I just cant do this anymore. She deserves so much better...I miss my parents. Thank you so much for loving me and showing me that) as I gave her a hug, and I heard her get choked up. I dont think her mom ever sang her to sleep. And she certainly would never tuck her into bed. Heck, I still love it when my mom comes and tucks me in! Does that make me a baby? I dont care, I love it! But I dont know what to do... I told her that I will always be there for her, and I mean it. If she ever needs me, some way I will make sure that she is safe. I just want her to be happy. She has already had to deal with so much in life yet she is just an amazing kid...
I have to sleep. If I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jakki I am sorry you have to feel so much pain for these little girls. I am proud of you for getting through it. All the trials we face in life help us in the end. Through this you will see exactly what you had as a child and a little forecast into how you want to raise your children.